If you’d like to embark on a culinary journey then the ‘Taste of Tomasso’ has your name written all over it. Join us at our Italian Gathering Place and enjoy panoramic views of Jack Nicklaus’ Turtle Point Golf Course from the comfort of Tomasso’s dining room.
August – the Sunday of Summer…
Sunday, the beginning of the end of the best season of the year, summer.
August means two things…1. Summer is almost over and 2. Fall is just around the corner.
If you are visiting us in the heat of the season, here are some culinary events you do not want to miss!!
Aerial of The Sanctuary
Since opening nearly 10 years ago, The Sanctuary and, in turn Kiawah Island Golf Resort, has garnered numerous awards and recognitions. As part of our weekly Flash-Back-Friday weekly posting leading up to our 10-year anniversary, here are just a few:
The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
- T + L Family 10 – World’s best family vacations (#10) Travel + Leisure (2014)
- Best American Beach Resort (#2) – Conde Nast Traveler (2014)
- Five Diamond Award – American Automobile Association (2014)
- Five Star Award – Forbes Travel Guide (2014)
- Top Resorts on the U.S. (#4) – Conde Nast Traveler (2013)
- Top Continental US and Canada Resorts (#11) – Travel + Leisure (2012)
- Top property in the world (#75) Conde Nast Traveler’s Readers’ Choice Award (2013)
- Top Beach Resort (#15) – Andrew Harper Readers’ Choice (2013)
- Top Family Resort in the world (#19) – Andrew Harper Readers’ Choice (2013)
- Top Golf Resort in the world (#4) – Andrew Harper Readers’ Choice (2013)
- Gold List Award – Conde Nast Traveler (2012)
- Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary – Audubon International (2012)
- Superior Deluxe Hotels – Travel Weekly (2012) (one of 30 in the U.S. and 106 world-wide)
Kiawah Island Spa (at The Sanctuary)
- Five Star Award – Forbes Travel Guide (2013)
- Best Hotel Spas in America (#11) – Travel + Leisure (2011)
- Top 100 Resort Spas-U.S. Mainland (#18) – Conde Nast Traveler (2012)
- World’s Best Spas-U.S. (#10), World (#30) – Travel and Leisure Magazine (2013)
Kiawah Island Golf Resort Awards and Recognitions
- Platinum Resort – Golf Magazine (2014)
- Top U.S. Golf Resort (#3) – Conde Nast Traveler (2012)
- 10 Best Resorts for Family Reunions (#2) – TripAdvisor’s Family Vacation Critic
- Conde Nast Johansens Awards for Excellence-Most Excellent Golf Resort (2011)
- Travel + Leisure’s Top Family Hotels in the U.S. & Canada (#13) (2011)
- Best U.S. Golf Resort (#2) – Global Traveler magazine (2011)
- Top U.S. Resort (#1) – Golf World magazine (2010)
- One of the “Top 25 Golf Resorts in the World” – Links Magazine (2013)
Kiawah Island Golf Awards and Recognitions
- #1 Golf Course in South Carolina (The Ocean Course) – Golf Digest (2012)
- #2 Golf Resort in the World – CNN Go (CNN International) (2012)
- America’s Toughest Course (The Ocean Course #1) – Golf Digest (2012)
- America’s Toughest Course (The Ocean Course #4) – GOLF Magazine (2012)
- Top 100 You Can Play (The Ocean Course #5) – GOLF Magazine (2012)
- America’s 100 Greatest Public Courses (The Ocean Course #4) –Golf Digest (2013)
- Top 100 Modern Courses in America (The Ocean Course #17) – GolfWeek (2013)
- Top 100 Courses in America (The Ocean Course #21) – Golf Digest (2013)
- Top 100 Courses in the World (The Ocean Course #60) – Golf Digest (2014)
- Top 100 Courses in the U.S. (The Ocean Course #25) – GOLF Magazine (2013)
- Top 100 Courses in the World (The Ocean Course #43) – GOLF Magazine (2013)
- Architects’ Choice Top 100 Golf Courses (The Ocean Course #33) – Golf Course Architecture Magazine (2013)
- Top 100 Resort Courses in America (The Ocean Course #8) – GolfWeek (2013)
- Top 10 Courses in the U.S. and the World (The Ocean Course) – Travel Channel (2014)
- Course Ratings: (2010)
- 5-star rating (The Ocean Course) – Golf Digest’s “Best Places to Play” guide
- 4 ½ -star rating (Turtle Point, Osprey Point and Oak Point) – Golf Digest’s “Best Places to Play” guide
- 4-star rating (Cougar Point) – Golf Digest’s “Best Places to Play” guide
- No. 14 (Osprey Point) – Golf Digest’s “Top 50 courses for women”
Kiawah Island Tennis
- No. 1 Tennis Resort in the World – tennisresortsonline.com (2013-Seven of the last nine years) (Currently No. 2.)
Kiawah Island Meetings Awards and Recognitions
- Pinnacle Award – Successful Meetings (10 years)
- Gold Key Award – Meetings & Conventions (9 years)
- Gold Tee Award – Meetings & Conventions (13 years)
- “Stars of the South” Award – Meetings South (8 years)
- Golden Links Award – Corporate Meetings & Incentives (11 years)
- Planners’ Choice Award – Meeting News (10 years)
- Greens of Distinctions – Corporate Meetings & Incentives (7 years)
- One of the “South’s Top 18 Golf Retreats For Groups” – ConventionSouth Magazine (2014)
Kiawah Island Dining
- Best of Award of Excellence (Ocean Room) – Wine Spectator
- Best Down Home Cookery (Jasmine Porch) – Andrew Harper’s Hideaway Report
- Restaurant of the Year (Ocean Room) – Charleston Post and Courier (2010)
- Only Forbes 4-star/AAA 4-diamond steakhouse in the U.S. (Ocean Room) (2012)
- No. 4 island in the world (behind Maui, Kauai & Maldives) – Conde Nast Traveler (2013)
- Happiest Seaside Town – Coastal Living (2012)
- Top 10 beaches in America (#9) – Dr. Stephen Leatherman (aka Dr. Beach) – www.drbeach.org (2013)
- No. 4 island in North America – Travel + Leisure (2012)
Sanctuary construction site May 2002
Just a few weeks away from the 10th anniversary of the opening of The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort. This week, aerial shots of The Sanctuary under construction. For months and months, dump truck came onto Kiawah Island, bringing in a quarter million tons of dirt to raise the entire Sanctuary construction site from it’s original level of 6 feet above sea level to 21 feet, high enough to protect against storm surges and, also, for guests to stand anywhere in the first floor lobby and see the tide breaking at mid-tide.
Jasmine Porch and Bittermilk partner to host a special beverage series dinner on Thursday, August 21, 2014 starting at 5:30 p.m. Located at The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, Jasmine Porch is Kiawah’s lowcountry themed three-meal restaurant. Guests of the beverage series dinner will sample several Bittermilk cocktail combinations while enjoying a back-porch bar-b-que by Chef Ryley McGillis. Bittermilk representatives will be on hand during the dinner to speak with guests about the cocktails.
Bittermilk’s co-owner, Joe Raya (center) and team
Healthy lifestyles have become a trend in 2014…with the ever popular CrossFit craze, the clean eating hashtag (#eatclean), the numerous calorie counter phone applications, the addicting weight-loss TV shows and the popularity of eating local, fresh, organic foods, people have never been on such a health-kick. All of our dining outlets have healthy options, even Inn Side Scoop, our ice cream shop down at the West Beach Straw Market.
Strawberry Protein Shake
Picnic Basket from Town Center Market
Looking for a fresh and flavorful alternative to your everyday meal? Let our talented chefs prepare a picnic basket for any outing…whether it be a family day at the beach, a trip into Historic downtown Charleston, or a quiet, relaxing escape for two, our team at the Town Center Market can create it for you. There are two picnic options to choose from with a variety of different items.
Smart Meeting Magazine’s Smart Star Award for best Coastal Hotel
Smart Meetings magazine, a meeting and conference magazine published for corporate and association meeting and business professionals, has awarded Kiawah Island Golf Resort their 2014 Smart Stars Award for best coastal hotel.
It was a perfect Thirsty Thursday for July’s Kiawah Beverage Series, ‘Cantina Después Del Anochecer’ (Cantina After Dark)! The summer sun was shining bright, there was a warm breeze blowing, Latin music was sweeping through the air, tequila was flowing, and the chatter and laughter from guests was a sure sign that the West Beach Cantina’s Beverage Series Dinner was a hit! Tacos and fajitas to the left, tequila tastings and a nacho bar to the right…life was good at the Cantina last night.
Nacho Bar & Mexican Street Corn
As the 10th Anniversary of The Sanctuary approaches we flashback at all of the achievements and milestones that the hotel has celebrated as a team and we consider ourselves very privileged to have been the host to so many of the anniversaries and celebrations of our guests and neighbors. We are grateful you chose to spend so many special, joyous, exciting and happy occasions here with us! Thank you for inviting us into our lives.
Cheers! Weekend of Jazz, 2013