The Weekend of Jazz at Kiawah Island Golf Resort is one of the island’s top events. But what do we really know about the people taking part? Here are some insights into the Weekend of Jazz artists.
1 Earl Klugh made his first recording at the age of 15. He has been organizing similar events since 2004. Last year’s inaugural Kiawah event was so successful that he decided to bring the jazz weekend back to the island again.
2. 10 time Grammy winner Chaka Khan, who will be appearing at the jazz weekend, is better known as the Queen of Funk, but she loves jazz. She was introduced to jazz as a child and has released two jazz oriented albums, Echoes of an Era (1982) and ClassiKhan (2004)
3. Brian Culbertson knew he would be a professional musician by the age of 12.
4. The East Coast party band is especially known for great sound and lighting effects. The band has been together for more than 20 years.
5. Spencer Day is a musical nomad, best known for successfully borrowing from and fusing several musical styles (not just jazz, but pop, folk, cabaret and more.
6. Eric Darius fell in love with the saxophone at the age of 9. He believes in music as a force for change.
7. Mindi Abair’s musical influences include her opera singer grandmother and her father’s band. She spent her early childhood touring with the band and music has always been a part of her life.
We hope this has whetted your appetite for what promises to be an exciting jazz weekend. Get more details about the event here: http://www.kiawahresort.com/jazz-weekend-at-kiawah.php Day of show tickets available!